Create an Estate Plan that Defines Your Legacy
“If you’re going to live, leave a legacy. Make a mark on the world that can’t be erased.”
– Maya Angelou
An estate plan helps you take control of your legacy, distribute your wealth according to your wishes and share your values with loved ones. In today’s Luma Wealth Lunch & Learn program, clients and guests spoke with advisors about creating an estate plan consistent with one’s goals. They covered a range of informative topics, such as how to avoid probate and the documents which comprise a plan, including a:
- Will – legal document that states your final wishes for how your assets will be distributed, names your executor and indicates the guardians you’ve selected to care for minor children, as well as provisions you’ve made for your pets. However, it does not help your heirs avoid probate.
- Revocable Living Trust – like a will, a revocable living trust allows you to name your beneficiaries but are more complicated to set up and don’t allow for naming guardians. However, they do serve as probate avoidance mechanisms when funded and properly titled.
- General Durable Power of Attorney – gives authority to the person you name to act on your behalf should you become incapacitated.
- Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare – allows you to designate someone to make medical decisions on your behalf during incapacity and indicates your wishes for medical interventions.
- Living Will– states your wishes for end of life care.
When set up strategically, an estate plan can help you reduce your taxable estate and achieve your ultimate wealth and personal goals. And, revisiting it periodically and after life’s transitions will help you keep it current.
If you were unable to attend today’s event, you can reach out to your Luma Wealth team for guidance on estate planning to take control of your legacy.
Learn about opportunities to join in on future events by following Luma Wealth on social media, regularly visiting the events page on our website and checking your inbox for Luma Wealth invites – and tell your friends!
Luma Wealth is registered with Hightower Securities, LLC, member FINRA and SIPC, and with Hightower Advisors, LLC, a registered investment advisor with the SEC. Securities are offered through Hightower Securities, LLC; advisory services are offered through Hightower Advisors, LLC.
This is not an offer to buy or sell securities. No investment process is free of risk, and there is no guarantee that the investment process or the investment opportunities referenced herein will be profitable. Past performance is not indicative of current or future performance and is not a guarantee. The investment opportunities referenced herein may not be suitable for all investors.
All data and information reference herein are from sources believed to be reliable. Any opinions, news, research, analyses, prices, or other information contained in this research is provided as general market commentary, it does not constitute investment advice. The team and Hightower shall not in any way be liable for claims, and make no expressed or implied representations or warranties as to the accuracy or completeness of the data and other information, or for statements or errors contained in or omissions from the obtained data and information referenced herein. The data and information are provided as of the date referenced. Such data and information are subject to change without notice.
This document was created for informational purposes only; the opinions expressed are solely those of the team and do not represent those of Hightower Advisors, LLC, or any of its affiliates.